top of page

2018 Working with Juntos Servimos

Pictoral journey through our mission trip.

This is where you will find a lot of our mission trip pictures and descriptions of what we are doing.  Check back here during our trip to see what we are doing each day. To see entire photo, just double-click on the picture.

Sunday, June 17


Also, click here to check out the BUMCY instagram page (you can find a button for it on the main youth ministry page).  

Breakfast:  At our own homes.

Lunch: What-a-burger in Kyle, TX

Dinner: Little Caesar's Pizza, Salad, Water

We pulled away from church after the fantastic commissioning service at 9:58 am.  We then had a leisurely, uneventful drive to San Benito (including a stop in Kyle, TX at our favorite What-a-burger) where we arrived at 8:04 pm.  

We got everything unpacked, had our pizza dinner, and chatted with Larry Cox, Nancy and Keyla about our project and life.

Lights went out a little after 11pm without any complaining.

Monday, June 18

Breakfast: Biscuits/Sausage, Jelly, OJ/Milk/Coffee

Lunch: Turkey/Roast Beef/PB&J Sandwiches, Chips, Cookies, Water

Dinner: Spaghetti, Salad, Cupcakes, Lemonade/Water

We were up and eating at 7 am, but we pulled away from church a little late, arriving at the work site at 8:34 am.

We learned a little about framing and a lot about hammering nails in straight.

Part of our group went to town to buy a van-full of lumber for the project.  We were able to get all the walls up (interior and exterior), and the joists set for the roof to go on.

Tuesday, June 19

Breakfast: Pancakes/Bacon, OJ/Milk/Coffee

Lunch: Turkey/Roast Beef/PB&J Sandwiches, Chips, Cookies, Water

Dinner: Tacos/Burritos, Refritos, Guacamole/Salsa Chips, Pudding, Water/Lemonade

We made it to the work site at 8:28 this morning.  Once again, part of our group went to Brownsville to buy building materials while the rest of us stayed to work on getting the roof ready for decking.  

We stopped for a build-your-own sandwich lunch in the shade of Carlos and Claudia's backyard.  Then we were back to work.  While a crack team went with Carlos to the roof, the rest of us stayed grounded wrapping the outside walls with tar paper.  

Then the skies opened up.  We were put on pause when the first clap of thunder was heard, then we scurried for cover as the rain, rain, rain came down, down, down in rushing, rising riv'lets.  We did make it home without incident, and even made it to Sam's and Wal-Mart to finish our grocery shopping for the week.

Wednesday, June 20

Breakfast: Sausage/Scrambled Eggs/French Toast, OJ/Milk/Coffee 

Lunch:  Leftovers

Dinner: Burgers/Hotdogs, Chips, Pudding, Lemonade/Water 

At 4:30 this morning, we were rudely awakened by the Emergency Alert System.  There was a tornado warning for our area.  We woke everyone up (everyone gets up a lot faster for a tornado warning than for breakfast, btw) and headed downstairs to wait out the warning. We got to go back upstairs to bed at 4:45 am.  We slept in an extra hour only to wake and find out that the AC had quit working overnight.

Our work on the addition is held up today, but we will go to la casa de Carlos to unload the building supplies that were purchased yesterday.

Thursday, June 21
(Schlitterbahn SPI)


Breakfast: Pancakes/Bacon, OJ/Milk/Coffee

Lunch: at Schlitterbahn

Dinner: Sweet Baby Ray's Chicken

We weren't sure if the weather would be good enough to enjoy our trip, but we only had 1 shower while we were there.  It happened just as we gathered to eat lunch, so we got to watch the rain while we ate.

The nice thing about Schlitterbahn is that it also has beach access, so we all got to visit the beach and the water park.  South Padre Island is short a few more shells after our visit.

While Jesse had to work, we got to take Nancy with us and spend the day with her.  On the way home, we scooped up Jesse, and we all got to eat dinner together.

By the way, this area saw the most rainfall in a 4 day period since Hurricane Harvey.

Friday, June 22

Breakfast: Cinnamon Rolls/Muffins, OJ/Milk/Coffee

Lunch: Wendy's in San Antonio

Dinner: with your own family

We got on the road about 25 minutes later than we wanted to, and we inadvertently got separated when we went to get gas, but then our trip went well.  Until we got to the immigration check at Sarita. There we stopped and chatted with immigration for 10-15 minutes about one of our youth, then we went merrily on our way.

We made it all the way to San Antonio before we ate lunch at Wendy's, then continued our trip home.  Stops for gas and rest areas made our trip complete.

We made it back to Buckingham at 8:12 pm to waiting families. And another successful mission trip is in the books.

bottom of page